Monday, June 9, 2008

Reviewed by About.com: Samsung SC-HMX20C


I recently had a chance to try out the new Samsung SC-HMX20C. The camcorder records 1920 x 1080 high definition video to an internal 8GB flash memory drive, or onto a removable SDHC/MMC card. The HMX20C has a 10x optical and 100x digital zoom, and comes with a dock to transfer video to your computer as well as some basic DVD authoring software.


THE GOOD:
Size
The Samsung HMX20C is a small bullet size camcorder. I often photograph bands, and I was able to fit the camcorder in one of the slots in my camera bag designed for a SLR lens when I took it on a shoot. This would be an easy camcorder to put in a small bag and then carry in a purse or a tote bag on vacation. While I didn’t exactly toss it around, I think it could handle a little bumping around in a bag.


Ease of Use
I thought the HMX20C was very easy to just pick up and use. The controls were easy to find, and the record and zoom controls were located both on the camcorder itself as well as LCD screen. If you’re someone who likes to hold the LCD screen while recording your video then the controls on the actual LCD screen could come in handy.


Video Quality
The HMX20C has some of the best video quality I have ever seen from a Samsung camcorder. I took the camcorder into a variety of low light situations and was really impressed with how it was able to compensate on it’s own in different lighting conditions. The video always looked pretty good no matter where I was recording.


External Microphone Jack The external microphone jack on the HMX20C wins it major point in my book. A lot of consumer camcorders no longer have external microphone jacks, and their on-board microphones are pretty sub-par. While many consumers won’t use the external microphone, it’s nice to have that option there. If you ever plan on recording anything like interviews, or even a short film and external microphone is really necessary with any camcorder to get a decent sound quality.

THE BAD:
No Viewfinder
One thing I wasn’t crazy about with this camcorder is that the only way to view what you’re recording is through the LCD screen. While most people do use the LCD screen to look at what they’re recording, LCD screens use an amazing amount of battery power. It would be nice to have a viewfinder option for times when you wanted to save your battery, or in situations where there’s heavy glare and you can’t see the LCD.


Controls on LCD screen
I listed this in the positive, but for me personally it was a bit of a negative. I like to hold the LCD screen as I tilt a camcorder to get a particular shot. When using the HMX20C I found myself constantly accidentally hitting the record button or zoom. I eventually got used to it, but it was a bit of a challenge at the onset.


Touch Screen LCD Apparently the touch screen LCD is catching on…and I hate it. Touch screens are really easy to use, and look great…but touch screens also tend to pick up all the grease (or whatever else) is on your fingers leaving behind fingerprints on your shiny screen. With the HMX20C your LCD is the only way you can see what you’re recording so your choices are to either see everything through your fingerprints, or to constantly wipe the screen off.

For more information, link to: http://camcorders.about.com/od/camcordertoppicks/fr/SamsungHMX20.htm

No comments: