Friday, October 23, 2009

Receive Samsung New Camera, ST1000(CL65) with built-in GPS and WIFI.

Here is a user review for Samsung ST1000(CL65) digital camera with built-in GPS and WIFI.





I got an opportunity to use a Samsung new camera as a VLUU Grapher. So I’ll experience the Samsung new camera ST1000(CL65) for about 6 weeks. At the last 6th week, I will travel overseas and use GPS there.



If you want to know what is the greatest trait of the ST1000(CL65), I may say it’s the built-in GPS and WI-FI included. A 3.5-inch touchcreen and ‘Haptic’ feature are attractive but more than that, I couldn’t wait to see the onboard GPS as I had used a GPS Logger for records at the last trip. In fact, I was curious about the new concept before the two new Samsung products, ST550(TL225) and ST1000(CL65) were released. It was the dual LCD on both sides of the ST550(TL225) and the ST100(CL65) with built-in GPS and Wi-Fi.   



Having seen such a good reaction from overseas, it seems that no one would object to the fact that this is a camera of new idea. I also was so glad at the compact camera with an onboard GPS.





The ST1000(CL65) has adopted SLB-11A battery and MicroSD. I like the Samsung battery because of its reasonable price compared with other brands but it is a pity about the MicroSD. Although they say that MicroSD is included because of the machinery issue, it is obvious that an adapter has to be carried with and it will not be fast enough. However, when I took a picture, I actually didn’t feel that slow than I thought.  





On the top side of the camera is there a reception part with the mark ‘GPS. I’m testing it with my GPS Logger and I guess the reception is average. When you travel overseas, you will go outside a lot. So once you are in receipt, then you will be fine. However as this is not always on for reception like GPS Logger, you may use this camera in a different way than the regular camera in order to take a picture using the GPS feature.



I’ll tell you more about this next time.





While the ST550(TL225) has a protruding lens, the ST1000(CL65) has an inner zoom. Although the inner zoom lens must not have the quality as good as a bigger aperture, some photos I took for testing show a much better quality than existing models. Various aspects have been upgraded along with upgrading the model.





The rear area of the ST1000(CL65) is of a 3.5 inch touchscreen. It can recognize a little larger area of a touch than I thought but you will get used to it. It is very convenient that you can check each photo you take right away on the large screen. Also, operating can be mostly done by touch and a trendy Haptic is applied so that it allows you to utilize all the features very conveniently.





The slightly protruding buttons are limited to Power, Shutter, Zoom and See Photo, and all other remaining items can be operated by touching the screen. Of them, a shooting mode can be easily changed only by pressing the centre button and tilting it to the direction you wish. At first, it was new to me but once I got used to it, it became so much convenient to move between the modes. Personally I used movie and program modes repeatedly.





There are four icons on the screen: from top right, Haptic, GPS, Wi-Fi and Menu. I just explained the Haptic and for GPS, it takes time to get reception at cold start. Once it is in receipt, it does not take a long time to receive a signal after turning off and then on. However if you want to record GPS always, you’d better not to turn your camera off since it does not receive GPS instantly after turning off and on. Otherwise, as an option, you can record the previously received locations when it is not in receipt.





Of the different Wi-Fi features, an interesting thing is that you can e-mail photos when a wireless signal is received. It is fun to send interesting photos to a friend on a trip. Of course it is only possible where the internet connectivity is good overseas and Wi-FI is open but it is just so much fun to use it.



Furthermore, you can give and take photos between cameras, camera and computer and via Bluetooth and etc. I can see that Samsung tried to provide a lot of conveniences in different ways.





Most of Samsung cameras have a connector without a separate battery charger like this. Such a simple adapter composition is always welcome because it helps reduce trip load.



If you use frequently Wi-Fi or GPS always during a trip, I was told that the battery drains so quickly. When you go around to take a picture all day, you may need 3 batteries at least. If you want to travel, it seems that you need a lot of batteries. Thanks to the GPS, you can mark a place where you took a photo on like the Google map. I will be able to have more interesting photo life once I get used to the GPS and its various features.



Although it is a camera of double-edged sword having the innovative functions of GPS and Wi-Fi and also quickly draining battery, I think it will be pretty much appealing to people who are interested in these appliances as you can turn the GPS off if you take a photo in Korea or that simply you don’t need it, or travelers don’t need a GPS Logger separately.  



I’ll have to play with this camera a lot more.


 


For more information, please click: http://www.segadget.com/entry/487


 


 

No comments: