Friday, June 12, 2009

Samsung IT100 review – Small and convenient camera (Unboxing and design)








As a DSLR user, I ve felt a burden of the body and additional lens, so I ve tried to find my second camera. At that moment, I become a tester for the Samsung IT100, so I ve got a chance to use and review the new camera. However, if you have an experience of a second camera, you already knew that you would forget what the second camera is. You realize that you would like to carry the small and convenient digital camera rather than DSLR, and feel sad for the DSLR staying in your home. I ve only used this for 2 days, but it was enough time to feel the convenience of shot without any burden for weight and size. I could just take this out from my bag. Detailed functions and review will be handed in the next review, and today I m going to put up a preview and comments with pictures.


When holding the box, I thought the box is very small. It might be because I haven t purchased a compact digital camera for a while. Therefore, I even talked to myself Cable, battery, and other items are optional? However, all items such as camera, cable, battery, SD memory card, hand strap, etc. are all in the small box. I will tell you about this again when reviewing, but anyway, since the IT100 supports HDMI, the cable is provided and 2GB SD memory card is also included. It comes with 4 colors such as black, silver, blue, and red. My model is red.


It could have been easier, if I had taken a comparison picture. To say easily, it s just like a cell phone size. The thickness is not that slim compared to brand new slim digital cameras, but I can understand this looking at the functions. Considering other slim digital camera supports 3x zoom, the 5x zoom IT100 is the slimmest digital camera, I think. So it s not thick at all, but other slimmer camera might make the IT100 not slim, so I left this comment. The unique thing of the front image is edited circular border for flash, and I can see they ve considered much to make a compact size digital camera.



3 inch wide LCD is located at the back. Actually, the LCD takes most of the back, so the sensory size is bigger, I suppose. Besides, it has zoom in/out button, and while most other cameras provide a left/right type zoom button, this provides up/down type. It s impressive. Below, a button to change mode/function through the circle, and menu button, change of picture location, flash, timer button, and view button to watch picture on the LCD, and bin button for delete are located. Fingerprints can easily be left on the LCD, so for your convenience you d better put the LCD protection film.




The noticeable thing of the bottom is the HDMI port. To be honest, when looking at the specification of the IT100 first, I was surprised at the HDMI and 720P video recording the most. Compared to other digital cameras which transfer videos through the component port, the IT100 supports HDMI, so this can transfer videos as a digital without any loss. Besides, tripod hole and battery/SD memory card hole are located on the bottom.




When turning this on by pushing the power button, the lens part is activated like the picture. As you can confirm this from the side, this is a bit thicker than slim design cell phones. It depends on users, but I think if this was slimmer, it might be inconvenient for me to use the function button. Especially, it could have been inconvenient, because there s nothing to hole on the top when pushing the shutter. Anyway, I m satisfied with this slimness.



Honestly, when I confirmed the colors of the IT100, I thought it might have been better if it had been blue. However, looking at the red slowly, I think the red is more characteristic and distinguished than other colors. I should have mentioned that earlier with the front, on the left there s a phrase 12.2 MEGA PIXELS with a hole for hand strap and kind of a prop for better grip.



LCD is activated. The 3 inch LCD feels very wide and cool. It feels like looking at a small PMP. With this wide LCD, not only professionals, but also normal users can easily take and confirm pictures immediately.


When I took the IT100 first, I could feel the time goes by doing something with it. Thanks to the small and compact size, this will be a precious item replacing DSLR, and I m going to spend a lot of time with the IT100 recording videos and testing functions.


I ve talked about brief unboxing and design, and from next I m going to talk about functions and more detailed stories with the pictures taken by the IT100.

No comments: